Sunday, September 6, 2009

Top 5 Excuses For Failing In The Music Business

I learned a long time ago that excuses are the tools of incompetence which build monuments of nothingness. From that point on, I've never like excuses and I can smell one coming a mile away.

In my many years of dealing with the music business, I've heard enough excuses to build the Washington monument and several other monuments. What I've come up with today are the 'Top 5 Excuses For Failing In The Music Business'.

Here they are:

  1. "I don't have any money."

  2. "I don't have time."

  3. "I don't have any contacts"

  4. "These industry heads ain't feelin' my style of music"

  5. "I'm too old"

I was going to go in detail with these excuses but why? Well on second thought, I will address them one at a time really quick.

The old excuse "I don't have any money" really sucks. There are so many free things you can do to promote yourself these days that it makes no sense to use this excuse any more.

We've all heard this one: "I simply just don't have the time". Tell that to someone who doesn't really understand time. We all have 24 hours to live each day. No one gets more & no one gets less. The difference between the Russell Simmons & Diddy types of the world is how they spend their 24 hours. They spend their time making their goals come true. We should all use them as a examples for success.

For the person that says, "I don't know anybody or I don't have any contacts", once again there are so many free ways to get contacts online through sites like MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter. It really makes no sense to use this excuse. It can be put to rest in the information age.

And this one, "These industry heads ain't feelin' my style of music", is just shallow. There is a market for just about every style of music. If one music business person doesn't like your music so what? MOVE ON!!! You can always put out your music independently. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't succeed because they don't like your music.

My answer to the "I'm too old" excuse is "for what?" This is a super excuse. I know people who have used this excuse and it always made me cringe. Here's why.

If you're passionate your music, I mean truly, really passionate then you will make a way to do it. When I went on tour with KRS-ONE he was either 36 or 38 years old. I know you're saying, "well, he's an established artist."

Yeah...and????

My answer to this is stop making excuses. There are some spinoffs of these excuses but these are the main ones. I'm sure you heard them as well as I have.

Remember you only fail if you stop moving forward.

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
www.RapBeatCreator.com
www.Free-Hot-Rap.com

********************************************

No comments: