Monday, July 21, 2008

Make Your Own Beats: What Are You Waiting For?

Have you ever dreamed of programming drums like Timbaland or Swizz Beats?

Then click here to make your own beats!

Are you a rapper or emcee that really wants to put out a demo or album but just can get your hands on the right music?

Then click here to make your own beats!

Are you in a group where one person handles most of the production of beats and you have to wait on him or her to give you beats or get into the studio to record?

Then click here to make your own beats!

Are you a Hiphoppa in need of some extra cash?

The click here to make your own beats!

Do you want to leave a lasting mark on the music industry and have a long career?

That's right - you need to click here to make your own beats!

Am I serious about you making your own beats? Yes, yes, and yes! I'm sure many people can relate to my story. I've been in the music business since 1988. I've been in several groups where someone else handled the beat making duties and most of the time I never had a problem with it.

I always felt like I could make my own beats but I never really pursued it because I was so focused on becoming the best emcee (for those that are Hiphop dialect challenged, an emcee is also called a rapper - but not all rappers are emcees. That a topic for another article). I'm a perfectionist so in my mind, I became one of the best emcees. I mean I've even performed at the Apollo in Harlem with one group I was in called The Insane Cirkle so I thought I was "the man".

Everything was fine for a while but we always had to go back to a certain producer with our ideas and he would charge us by the hour for studio time to put the ideas together and record songs & demos. I kept encouraging the members of the group to get our own equipment and no one moved a muscle.

One day, one of co-workers at my slightly above minimum wage job who had some connections with Dallas Austin and some other people offered to let me use a Boss 660 drum machine that he had laying around the house. I accepted and I began to make killer beats. The only drawback was that I couldn't make any melodies with it so I still end up going back to the same producer to help me finish the rest of the track and I was still paying him for studio time...and giving him production credits. But I did make some money with the 660.

I knew I couldn't keep the Boss 660 forever so I bought my first piece of equipment: A Roland PMA - Personal Music Assistant. At the time it was cutting edge technology because I could produce on the go. I was a public transportation user back then and I could make my own beats while I was on the train. It was MIDI capable so I could sync it up with other MIDI instruments in the studio and the sounds that it produced weren't bad. I made some money with it too.

Later after The Insane Cirkle broke up, I found myself in another group called Prophetix with my homeboy Eddie Meeks. Prophetix accomplished many great things and once again I shrugged off the production duties to work on my lyrics because our deejay, Jon Doe, was our producer who made really hot beats. With me being from down south, I wanted more bass kicks in the music I rhymed over but no one was feeling me on that concept. Most of the hit rap songs that you listen to have 808 kick drum sounds in them and so do the classics. As with the last group I got tired of waiting for beats and waiting to record in the studio so one day I went out and bought Reasons 3.0 and an EMU X-Board 25 and the rest is history.

The members of Prophetix disbanded for one reason or another and I'm REALLY glad I got my own equipment. There is an old saying that goes, "God blesses the child that's got his own". Well, I no longer have to wait on others to make music for me or wait to go to the studio just to record scratch vocals. Sure, I'll rhyme over another producers beats but I don't have to wait on anybody and my studio time is not limited by anybody else. If I have a good idea, I don't have to wait a week or two to get it recorded. I can do it all from the comfort of my home studio when ever I want to do it.

The point I'm trying to say is WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? There are endless optionS for making your own beats. I not a fool though. I know everyone can't afford an MPC 3000 or software like Reasons. As much as I love what the MPC does, it was just simply out of my budget. One great option for new producers to get is to get Music Producer Pro. It comes with software you can download off the Internet and it is full of tutorials that can help you get started today. It is currently selling at $34.95 at the time of this writing but it's easily worth $250 to $300.

If you don't get started making your own beats now when will you get started?

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
www.RapBeatCreator.com

P.S. To make your own beats, get started now by clicking here to go to the Music Producer Pro website. You won't be sorry! Peace...

No comments: