Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Make Your Own Beats? Back Up Your Computer To Be Safe

Here is something that is very frustrating if you are making your own beats using a computer. I made some sick beats and for some reason I didn't get this lesson when it was first put in my face. I'm talking about backing up your hard drive and saving your work on a CD-R.

The first time this happened to me was back in 2006. My motherboard went out in my computer and I had every opportunity to back up my work. There was even a point in time just before it died when I could've saved everything but oh no. I FORGOT that my computer was wiggin' out so I shut it down. It never came back on and I lost everything. The real reason I also lost everything was that my computer guy lost my hard drive which is another reason to back up all of your files.

Fast forward to 2008.

My computer guy built me another computer and it works good enough to for me to make beats and do some basic computing and web surfing. We'll here's a tip: if you have people in your household who use your main computer, then you should back it up regularly. Why? Because people download things sometimes that they aren't sure about and these things can be viruses or programs that don't work well with your computer.

Case in point.

I just moved at the beginning of May and when I moved my computer was working fine. For some strange reason a month later it started locking up. I'd have to reboot my computer every time and I just knew something had been downloaded by my wife that shouldn't have been. Well, I decided I would back up my files because I couldn't afford to lose all of my work. Good thing I did too.

Late in July, my computer started locking up as soon as the Windows logo would come on the monitor. I can't even explain to you how pissed I was. I had been running virus scans and Norton Systemworks scans as well and I kept getting some errors in my temp files that wouldn't go away no matter how many times I tried. Finally, I just decided to track down the location of the temp files and manually delete them. I was a bit nervous but they were temp files so that means it was taking up extra space anyway. This took a little while but guess what? My computer hasn't locked up in a week.

Bottom line: If you're making your own beats and using you computer to run your business, then you absolutely MUST backup your files. You might loose that beat the would've been the million dollar seller. Peace...

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
www.RapBeatCreator.com

No comments: