Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Billboard Bangers - Week #33

If you're really serious about making it in the music business and music publishing, then you should definitely check out your competition on Billboard.

This week in the Billboard Hot Rap 100 chart I'm going to review the Billboard Bangers which are the Top 10 songs on that chart. I'll review the rappers as well as the producers who made the beats.

This week's Top 10 Billboard Bangers are:

  1. Best I Ever Had - Drake (Produced by Boi-1da)
  2. Every Girl - Young Money (Produced by Tha Bizness)
  3. Wetter (Calling You Daddy) - Twista Featuring Erika Shevon (Produced The Legendary Traxster)
  4. Successful - Drake Featuring Trey Songz (Produced Noah “40″ Shebib)
  5. Throw It In The Bag - Fabolous Featuring The-Dream (Produced by Tricky Stewart)
  6. You're A Jerk - New Boyz (Produced by Dominic "Legacy" Thomas)
  7. Ice Cream Paint Job - Dorrough (Produced by 2 Much)
  8. Run This Town - Jay-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West (Produced by Kanye West)
  9. Hotel Room Service - Pitbull (Produced by Jim Jonsin)
  10. Always Strapped - Birdman Featuring Lil Wayne (Produced by Mr. Beatz)

Let's start with #1. Hands down, Drake is the man right now. His flow is tight and his hook is catchy. The production by Boi-1da is nice and mid-tempo and Drake rides the track perfectly and his verses are visual. I'm lovin' that this joint came off a mix tape and now its the #1 Rap song in the country. How dope is that?

#2 is a song that features Drake again. As a matter of fact he's on the Top 10 list 3 times which is almost unheard of for an artist who wasn't even signed to a label. This time the song is Every Girl by the Young Money crew which is Lil Wayne and some of his artists. I'm more partial to the radio edited version only because that's what I've heard the most. All the emcees kill their verses but I'm still partial to the radio edits. The track is nutz as Tha Bizness kills the beat and the song has a nice melody and its "singable".

I'm not feelin' the #3 song that much even though I am a Twista fan and have been since he stepped on the scene in the 90's. I like the beat and Twista rocks the verses. Its just the hook I don't like. It's corny and it sounds cheesy as hell but people obviously like it because it's the #3 song on the chart.

The #4 song is Drake featuring Trey Songs with "Successful". Although the theme is not new (see Notorious B.I.G.'s "Juicy") they turn it into a heart-felt song about being successful and enjoying the finer things in life. The track is okay. I think the artists really sell this track.

#5 is definitely for the ladies. Its the Fabolous & The Dream. This song follows the "simple is best" formula. The rhymes are simple, the hook is simple, & the track is simple. Not a whole lot to say about this song other than I won't be playing it alone in the car. Once again, its definitely for the ladies.

On to #6... The New Boyz have a hit with "You're a Jerk". I can't say I'll be playing this one either but hey they made it to the Top 10. I don't really know what's fueling this song. The lyrics are okay and the beat is Fruity Loops as hell but what ever works...

In the Lucky #7 spot is held by Dorrough with "Ice Cream Paint Job". This is another ode to the art of having fly whips. Its pretty self-explanatory. The beat sound like a like Lil Jon track from the "Get Low" era. Its sure to have your trunk rattling. Being a person who used to have a loud custom stereo system in my first car, I can appreciate the track from that stand point.

#8 is almost like a posse cut. I'm a fan of Jay Z, Kanye West, and Rihanna so these names alone should make a pretty good song. "Run This Town" is kinda the truth. Jay Z pretty much runs NYC and he's still on top of his game. "DOA" is currently my personal theme song and I've been a Jigga fan since '96. Can't wait until Blueprint 3 drops in September. Kanye & NO I.D. both kill the track. It sounds like a song from a movie soundtrack. Its bright & full.

Miami rapper Pitbull holds the #9 spot down with "Hotel Room Service". I actually like this song because I was a big 2 Live Crew fan and he make some references from one of their songs "One & One". This is definitely a club banger and I see radio and clubs playing this for years to come. The track is all uptempo club music. Definitely a winner.

Pulling up in the rear at #10 is "Always Strapped" by Birdman and Lil Wayne. I love this track! Mr. Beatz is that dude right now. The track is bangin' with the guitar rifts just under the beat. Lil Wayne does a different style and it works and Birdman's rhymes ain't to bad either but this track...whew!!!! It's hot.

Well there you have it. My first Billboard Bangers review. If you make beats online then I hope you take some time to listen to these songs and figure out why they are hits. Some are obvious Bangers and others well, not so obvious. I catch up with you next week with a new Billboard Banger review. Holla....

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist

http://www.rapbeatcreator.com/

***************************************************

No comments: