Sunday, November 9, 2008

Developing The Habit Of Persistence

One of the keys to being successful in life is developing the habit of persistence. It doesn't matter if you want to be the best beat maker, emcee, football player, doctor, lawyer, etc.

If you want to be the best, you must be persistent.

The legendary basketball champion Michael Jordan is a great example of being persistent. Mike practiced and practiced until he became almost flawless. You know the story. Cut by his high school basketball team, he went on to become one of the greatest basketball players in history.

He won a NCAA Championship in college, 6 NBA Championships, NBA All-Star Trophies, Olympic Gold Medals, and all kinds of endorsements.

The passing of my friend JAX showed me something and it made me take the time to reflect. STAHR The FEMCEE said JAX told her she needed to get in the habit of writing everyday. It didn't have to be much. It could be a couple of bars but as long as it was done everyday it would become a habit.

Last night on WRFG 89.3 on Jay Force's show Rhythm and Vibes, I heard so much music from JAX that I never heard before. That Brother was truly on the grind...

...before it was even cool to say grindin'.

What I came away with was to step up my game. Double my failure rate. Stay focused on what I want to see manifest in my experience. Use concentrated force to overcome road blocks.

I'm already committed to blogging everyday. I would like to add a new commitment of making my own beats everyday and/or working on a song.

This is not hard for me to do because I'm so used to writing. Writing is easy. What is hard is staying focused on the big picture sometimes.

With all the challenges life brings your way, it can be difficult to prioritize and do what really needs to be done but once you put all the excuses to the side and just do it, life gets simpler.

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
www.RapBeatCreator.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true and while seemingly obvious, this message of persistence so often escapes most of us. Thank you for the reminder, and good luck with all your endevours in art of persistence!