Saturday, November 1, 2008

Are You On The Guest List? I Am!

Here is yet another marketing idea that worked for me back in the day when I was doing street promotions. It worked so well, my homeboy Eddie Meeks adopted it and later, Prophetix made it into a song!

I'm not sure what we were promoting at the time but Dialated Peoples was in town performing and their fans are our target market.

Whatever it was we were promoting, I made sure we always promoted our stuff as well. Since we were getting paid to put out flyers and posters for someone else, it was like we were getting paid to put our material as well...

...but that's another story!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, Eddie and I went there for one purpose: to get in. I told Eddie, "watch this, I bet we get in the show".

What I did next goes down in history...

I walked up and told the person at the ticket booth, "I should be on the guest list. My name is Mello Melanin." I was a guy and a girl and the guy said, "We don't see it. Are you sure?"

I was like, "Yeah, I'm with such and such records and these are our promotional materials. Why else would I be here."

He thought about it for a second then he said, "Oh okay, go ahead on in the club."

Eddie & I went in the club and celebrated where they couldn't see us. From then on the approach was named, "The Guestlist Tactic".

We did our work by passing out flyers and putting up posters then we chilled out and enjoyed the show.

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
www.RapBeatCreator.com

P.S. To use this tactic you must use absolute confidence. You can't go to anybody unsure of yourself but if you are confident this usually works well.

P.S.S. Used properly, you probably won't have to pay to get into another club. In fact, you'll find that you will often be put on the guest list simply by asking.

********************

No comments: