Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Emcee - Day 13: Celebrating Hip Hop History 2013

Whassup Peeps?

I know I'm getting this post out kinda late but trust me, I've been thinking about it all day. I started back at the beginning yesterday by going over the 9 elements and today its time to highlight emceeing again for Hip Hop History Month.

According to The Gospel of Hip Hop, "the emcee is a Hip Hop poet who directs and moves the crowd by rhythmically rhyming in spoken word." It also states, "emcees also deliver lectures and other forms of public instruction."

Today, I can't in good conscious NOT discuss emceein without shining the spotlight on the Teacha, Blastmaster KRS-ONE. Since 1986, he's been practicing and demonstrating the element of emceein according to both definitions listed above.

Before I toured the West Coast with him in 2003, I saw several of his live performances, attended several lectures, and even read a book he wrote called "The Science of Rap" (big ups to James Wright) for loaning me his autographed copy. I owe you a life time of thanks!).

Here is the Blastmaster performing some of his classics "The MC", "Outta Here", "Sound of Da Police":


***********

And if you're really down to learn some Truth and Metaphysics about Hip Hop, check this video out. Its long but if you really want to get an idea of what REAL Hip Hop is, this lecture by KRS-ONE breaks it down.


************

If you're interested in learning more about The Gospel of Hip Hop, The Temple of Hip Hop, and Hip Hop's elements, check out the link below at Amazon.com:



*********



Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin
The Rap Beat Creator, Emcee, and Hip Hop Scholar

No comments: